July 21, 2010

WHY DON'T YOUR POEMS RHYME

You ask why my lines of poetry don't rhyme
except for once in a while, or from time to time?
Well, the fact of the matter is my dear,
the words I scribble on the lines that appear
float down from the ozone through the dense air
and somehow, sometimes catch in the wax in my ear.
That's when I wrestle them to the dirt and make them linger
long enough for the thoughts to travel to the end of my finger
and hope that they're still there when I scratch them or type.
But if the words in my lines don't rhyme, it's okay, I won't gripe,
Even though I know they are easier to remember in sing-song style.
Why would anyone want to memorize a silly poem even for a while?

The IDIOM February 2008
- By Anthony Buccino
Copyright © 2008, 2010 by Anthony Buccino, all rights reserved.