October 16, 2010

DO THIS, DON’T DO THAT

DO THIS, DON’T DO THAT

People are always trying to change me
Exchange me and rearrange me
That’s not their place, it’s my face
They try to make me think like them
Drink like them and stink like them
I’m a me, I’m not a you
They try to make me write like them
Fight like them and be contrite like them
I like me the way I am

People try to make me sleep like them
Creep like them and peep like them
I’m not like all the rest

They try to make me rest like them
Detest like them and arrest like them
But it’s so hard for me to hate

They try to make me dress like them
Address like them and redress like them
They don’t know I’m a me from days gone by

People try to change me like I’m a doormat
Needless to say I’ve never gone along with that
‘n needless to say they just keep coming.

-- Copyright © 2010 by Anthony Buccino, all rights reserved.
Adapted from long-lost FROM A WAREHOUSE chapbook.
******************

No comments: