September 2, 2010

PIGEONS

On this walkway, the pigeons are raggedy,
disheveled, dirty and their feathers ruffled.
They are tough,
though.
They need some loving,
I guess.
With all the lunchers
on their power walks,
or sharing looks at my view,
you might
think it’s hard to be alone.
But it’s usually just me
and my thoughts,
and the water and the birds
for most of the hour.
It would be dangerous
for me to live so close to the sea.
I’d spend
all day and all night
watching waves ripple
and crash on the shore.

Can pigeons swim?
You would think
I should know that
having grown up with homers.
But I’ve only seen them
in bird baths.
It’s not the same.

- By Anthony Buccino
From ONE MORNING IN JERSEY CITY
Copyright © 2010 by Anthony Buccino, all rights reserved. Photos and content may not be used for commercial purposes without written permission.
******************

No comments: