August 27, 2010

THE AFTER LIFE OF THINGS

When your soul
leaves your corporeal flesh
and floats to that new place
in the ether
It makes a brief stop
in eternity
where it solves
the riddle of lost things

That watch that disappeared,
the leather coat gone,
the eyeglasses, a number of wallets,
umbrellas and car keys.
Not to mention the eyeglass cases
or the eyeglasses
your childhood dog
that ran away
while you were at school

Like an NFL highlights reel
your soul remembers these things
sees them flash and reappear
and when memory is sure
those items go on their way
from the time you last saw them
and this time,
your soul follows
and sees the stranger
find your wallet
take the cash
and discard
your heirloom
in the trash

-- Copyright © 2010 by Anthony Buccino, all rights reserved.
******************

2 comments:

Susan Cross said...

Great concept. I wondered where I would be going after I floated In a Corner Near the Ceiling if I didn't slip back into my body for awhile longer. And I've lost so many more things since then.

Anonymous said...

I liked the lines:

"It makes a brief stop
in eternity
where it solves
the riddle of lost things"